The current version of the Quiz has nothing to say about health care. Talk about a glaring omission! No wonder why Quiz2D is being eclipsed by newbie quizzes, including the execrable Political Compass. Time to remedy the omission. Here is a shot at a health care question. Please feel free to throw rocks/make constructive suggestions in the comments.
Medical costs are exploding, bankrupting individuals, corporations, and governments. Some blame the excessive use of insurance: moral hazards, lack of shopping, blizzards of paperwork. Others blame lawsuits and/or excessive licensing requirements. Liberals point to lack of preventative care for the poor, and emergency rooms clogged with poor people who cannot get care elsewhere. Recently, Congress passed the Affordable Care Act (“ObamaCare”), an incredibly complicated piece of legislation which many on both the right and left believe is a mere stepping stone to socialized medicine.
What should we do about exploding health care costs?
- Give ObamaCare a chance. Stay the course.
- Stop messing about. Enact British style socialized medicine now. (Government single payer, but legal private practice.)
- Everyone should have equal health care. Enact a Canadian style single payer system. (Paying doctors out of pocket illegal.)
- Repeal ObamaCare and go back to what we had before, perhaps with some tort reform.
- Repeal ObamaCare and have an individual tax deduction for health insurance instead of requiring people to go through their employers to get the tax exemption.
- Repeal ObamaCare and replace tax free employer provided health insurance with a capped tax credit. (A tax credit gives the working poor incentive to buy health insurance. A cap gets rid of the subsidy for “Cadillac plans.”)
- Repeal ObamaCare and the employer provided health insurance exemption. Instead, give all citizens a health insurance voucher sufficient to buy a catastrophic health insurance policy. This better insures the poor, which leaving it to the market whether to pay ordinary medical bills out of pocket or buy more than catastrophic coverage.
- Repeal ObamaCare, the employer provided health insurance exemption, Medicare, Medicaid, and most restrictions on practicing medicine. Let nurses handle the mundane illnesses. Let pharmacists recommend and sell medicines to the already diagnosed without requiring expensive prescriptions.
For the record, I favor the second to last option, coupled with a bit of tort reform and deregulation. There is no way to have every permutation of subsidy, tort reform and deregulation in a reasonable sized quiz. Note that many options don’t say what to do about Medicare or Medicaid. Health care could be a quiz all its own. Maybe I should make one…